Work With Me
James helped make my writing clearer, more cohesive, easier to grasp, and more entertaining to read. His editing skills improved my book in ways I didn’t know existed before I hired him.
– Steven Daar, CEO of Conversion For Good and bestselling author of Profit Hacking
If you’re reading this page, I’m pretty sure I already know three things about you.
1. You want to create a masterpiece.
Maybe that’s an ebook that establishes your authority and gets you a flood of speaking and consulting gigs. Maybe it’s a series of articles that drives an avalanche of traffic to your business. Maybe it’s the story of your journey told so poignantly that readers can’t hold back triumphant tears. Whatever it is, mediocre writing is unacceptable for it.
2. You know what you’ve created thus far, while good, isn’t a masterpiece yet.
You’ve written a draft of your text. (Maybe you’ve written several.) And you know it’s not where you want it to be yet. You’ve got an awesome vision of the finished masterpiece, and you know that some more work will get it there. But…
3. You know you can’t take it the rest of the way alone.
…you also know that you can’t be the one to do it. Either you don’t have any more time, you’ve done your absolute best work already and know it’s not enough, or you’ve given it all the energy you have and you just need to be done.
You need someone you can trust to finish your masterpiece.
You need a badass book editor.
That’s where I come in.
I’ve been a writer and editor in some form for over seventeen years. I know words, and I know the people who write them.
I’m James Ranson, and I help writers like you create masterpieces.
As a former recording engineer I have intimate experience with how powerfully a knowledgeable third party can affect a project. James was totally aware that my writing was mine and kept it that way, only better. His insightful, no-BS editing style honed my vulnerable stream of consciousness into a powerful message that will impact the world.
– Bob Schwenkler, Founder of Reclaiming Male Role Models Inc.
I edit ebooks, articles, websites, info products, courses/programs, and pretty much anything else involving the written word.
Here are two bestselling ebooks I’ve edited recently:
James has the strongest understanding of storytelling I’ve found in any of the editors I’ve worked with. Even though my book was nonfiction, it read as smoothly as any novel when he was done with it–without weakening the power of its message at all! I’ve already recommended James to several fellow authors, and look forward to working with him again in the future.
- Tyler Wagner, CEO of Best Selling Book System Inc. and bestselling author of Conference Crushing and Giving is Receiving
There are tons of editors out there who will take your text, run a red pen through it, send it back and go on their merry way.
If that’s the kind of editor you want, we won’t work well together.
On the other hand, if you want an editor who will ask questions, make suggestions, call you out when you sabotage your own authority or let your emotions take over your writing, nitpick over using the exact right word, and give you a loving kick in the ass from time to time, all in the interest of making your work the masterpiece we both want it to be…nice to meet you.
On top of my best proofreading, copy editing and/or content editing services, working with me will include some or all the following:
– Turning what you said into what you meant to say but didn’t know how to say at first
– Making your work so clear that Denzel Washington won’t need to say “explain this to me like I’m a six-year-old” when he reads it*
– Saying “You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means” in my best Inigo Montoya accent
– Letting you know that punctuation goes inside quotation marks, not outside
– Shaping your tone so it fits your message
– Curating your language so it resonates with your audience
– A healthy dose of Weird Al
– Working closely and transparently with you until we’re both 115% happy with the final result
– The option to contract for post-editing publishing services to make your masterpiece a guaranteed bestseller
* Denzel Washington actually reading your book not included in these services
I gave James a very difficult task without much detail to go on. He took my rambling narrative and turned it into the high-quality story I meant it to be when I started writing. He is very good at what he does.
- Helen Fraser, bestselling children’s author
So now I want to know about you! Email me at email@example.com and tell me: